Advanced Search

Links
Consulting
Products

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Bloomberg login

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Anthony's VBA Forum Index -> Other Finance Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david brent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Bloomberg login Reply with quote

Hello!
Every night I have an Excel VBA macro that is supposed to run and open and login
to a program (the Bloomberg professional) and download some data. My
problem is the log in process from my macro. Now I use SendKeys but
that seems VERY unreliable. Does anyone have any links with code that
shows how to use some better techniques e.g. Active X to log in to a
program?

My problem is really that I do not know if it is possible to do what I want in the first place. However I am just an intern at a large bank and I have spent a lot of time developing the code for getting the data from Bloomberg to Excel. Being able to automate that process would look very nice. Since I am no computer person I really do not understand the computer lingo and I have a hard time finding out if it is possible to do what I want at all. The people around me are lawyers and they hardly know what Bloomberg is so I cannot ask them.

Thus my questions are:
1) Is this possible at all? I mean I have a computer where people can use Bloomberg. But you get logged out of Bloomberg after you have not used it for an hour or so right? Therefore when the computer has been inactive a while you have to log in to the Bloomberg again in order to be able to load data. Given that fact any downloading that is be automatic must be able to log in to Bloomberg to ensure that the data is actually downloaded. The Bloomberg people REFUSE to help me with this. They won’t even say if it is possible or not. I guess that has something to do with them being afraid of hackers.
2) If it is possible is it possible to do it in a reliable fashion? If so what should you use and can I find some help on how to do it? As I said I am no programmer so if it requires a lot of coding it might not be worth it. I am willing to learn but I have limited time.
3) I looked for Active X files on my computer but I do not know even what that means or how to start learning anything about it. I basically would need a users guide for how to do it. Phat pipe and Data License are just words I have heard but I cannot ask anyone so I really cannot tell if I have access to that or not.
4) If anyone has done this before could you please help me? Any help from someone who has done it/knows how to do it is very much appreciated!

Thank you very much for any help! Forgive my ignorance but I am willing to learn I just need somewhere to start! Again thank you all very much!
poje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to use the Bloomberg software, Gateway. Bloomberg people should know this.

First, you setup a feed report in Bloomberg (using command "FSU").

Then, you setup the Gateway software, telling it when to run the feed report, where to store the excel file, what the file format filter is ...etc.

This setup procedure is complicated. And you should need Bloomberg people's help to do this.

If the Bloomberg data that you want to download is trade history, you can try these Bloomberg command: "THRP" to setup report and "RPT" to scheduling daily download job.
david brent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Gateway Reply with quote

Hi poje! Thank you very much for your reply! I have learnt how to use ActvieX for dowloading info eventough I am not logged in to the Bloomberg. However that Gateway seems interesting. I will check it out! Do you know if it is free? thanks alot!
Anthony
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Poje. I really do not know how this Bloomberg thing works. It is good that someone how knows and is willing to help. Thanks again.

Toast
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Anthony's VBA Forum Index -> Other Finance Topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: