Advanced Search

Links
Consulting
Products

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

simple array question

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Anthony's VBA Forum Index -> General Excel VBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trn

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: simple array question Reply with quote

I apologize for posting this. I know I should have found it in some archive somewhere, but I think my ignorance is preventing me from even making the correct query.

I am relatively new to VBA, but I know several other languages. I am trying to figure out how VBA deals with arrays. I made a test program that does not work:

[code]
Public Function tempo(list)
list(1) = 2
tempo = list(1)
End Function
[/code]

If I comment out the first line, I get as output whatever the first element is in my input range in Excel. If I uncomment the first line, I get the #VALUE! error, instead of 2 as expected. This leads me to believe that what I am calling "list" is not understood as an array in VBA, but as some other data type. After a couple hours of playing, it seems that I can use arrays as I expect from other programming languages as long as I don't try to assign a value to an element of it. As soon as I do I get an error.

What gives?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Anthony's VBA Forum Index -> General Excel VBA All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: